Random tagline

Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Plain Vanilla Post

Vanilla is a curious thing. I recently read that vanilla is the second most expensive spice, after saffron, since it's such a labour intensive process to grow the pods. And yet, vanilla has become such a common and sought after flavour. So much so, that lots of people seem to equate “vanilla” with “plain.”

Yes, it doesn't get any
fruitier than vanilla, does it?
So did I, for about the first two thirds of my life. Then at some point in my early twenties it clicked that vanilla by itself was a perfectly viable flavour, rather than the absence of a flavour like I previously considered it to be. And suddenly I had a greater appreciation for things like vanilla milkshakes, vanilla ice cream, and vanilla yogurt.

It's interesting how extremely versatile vanilla is, which I guess is why it's so widely used, despite its cost. Aside from it being a great stand-alone flavour, it complements so many other things well. Making chocolate chip cookies? The recipe includes vanilla. Want an ice cream sundae? Yep, start with vanilla ice cream and add your toppings. Order pie a-la-mode and you're never asked what flavour ice cream you want—you always get vanilla. And the one that still amazes me is Starbucks' Caramel Macchiato. Yes, the primary flavouring in that is vanilla syrup. The only caramel in it is what they drizzle on the top!

All this talk of vanilla has suddenly got me craving a vanilla latte... I don't have any vanilla syrup, but I found a very simple recipe I think I'll try. What better way to start out a lazy Saturday morning than with a nice hot vanilla latte.

1 comment:

Cassy said...

mmmm....vanilla is my favourite yogurt. And maybe even ice cream. Vanilla bean ice cream? YUM.