Random tagline

Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Worst Christmas Songs Ever

Okay, maybe that title is a little strong, but these are some Christmas songs I really can't stand hearing — the “Play this song and I'll shoot the radio” kind.

Mary's Boy Child, by Boney M
I don't know if I've ever heard anything else by Boney M, but this song alone makes me unlikely to actively seek out their other music.

Little Drummer Boy
I don't know why, but this song really annoys me. And the worst part is that at one church I used to attend, one of the worship leaders really liked leading the congregation in this song during the Christmas season. I don't know about you, but Pa rum pum pum pum doesn't exactly seem like fitting Sunday morning worship music.... But I have to admit that I do really like Jars of Clay's version. But maybe I'm just biased because they're one of my favourite bands.

Wonderful Christmastime, by Paul McCartney
This is probably the most annoying Christmas song I've ever heard. Except, of course, that I love Jars of Clay's rendition... Seriously, I didn't even recognize the song the first time through their Christmas album. Then when listening closer to the song later I realized it was “that song I hate hearing so much,” but I still like it. Jars of Clay's, that is. Not Paul McCartney's. Nothing would make me like the original version.

Feliz Navidad, by José Feliciano
This song is just too repetitive. I could write the entire lyrics out on one line. Well, except for some of the Spanish part. I have absolutely no idea what is being sung there aside from “Feliz Navidad.” And guess what, when trying to find a Youtube video for this song I found that Boney M also performed it. So that makes two Boney M songs I've heard, neither of which I like.

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, by Elmo and Patsy
This is one of those songs that was funny the first couple times, but I got sick of really quick. I bet if Jars of Clay were to record it I'd like it... But when it comes to novelty Christmas songs, I don't think I'll ever tire of Bob and Doug Mackenzie's 12 Days of Christmas.

Santa Baby, by Madonna
I first heard this song when I was in grade 7, when it was my class' contribution to the school's Christmas assembly. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now. Actually, it looks like Madonna wasn't the original artist. I found a video of a performance of it from back in 1953, by Eartha Kitt. But I should consider myself lucky. One day, as part of the background music playing in stores, my sister heard this song being sung by a man. I think I'd rather listen to Madonna sing it.

And for an honourable mention...
Okay, this really isn't a song I hate; just one that I think it is quite overrated — The Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah. Yes, it's a great piece of music. But I don't understand why most people's reaction to it seems to be like it's the best piece of Christmas music on the planet, and having the chance to hear it live, or take part in singing it, is like the audio equivalent of seeing a double rainbow. Like how lots of Christmas presentations end with “a special treat” of the choir performing it. My church has a long-standing tradition in its Christmas Eve service of ending with inviting anyone who wants to up onto the platform to sing it. I understand that it's hard to sing and have it sound good without lots of practice, but that alone doesn't make it worthy of all the hype in my opinion.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Hahaha! That is a funny list, some I agree with others I like. It seems Jars of Clay can do no wrong in your eyes or should I say ears :-)

Unknown said...

You make a lot of good points. I'm just glad you didn't include "The Night Santa Went Crazy" because that's my favorite!

Mike said...

Don't worry, I'd never include Weird Al songs on any Worst Of list! Plus that and "Christmas at Ground Zero" are both awesome songs.

Cassy said...

Actually, in Handel's Messiah, the Hallelujah Chorus happens at Christ's resurrection - so it's actually an easter song!