Random tagline

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sugar Contains Sugar

This afternoon while at work, I for whatever reason picked up the box of sugar cubes in the lunch room and looked at the nutrition facts on the bottom. Well, to my immense surprise (not!), apparently a 4g sugar cube contains... 4g of sugar! And that reminded me of the time I looked at the nutrition info listed on a bottle of water - 0 calories, 0g fat, 0mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol, 0g carbohydrates, and 0g protein. Seems like a waste of space on the label. Who doesn't know that plain old water contains none of that? Fancy flavoured water, perhaps, but not the normal stuff. But I guess they're legally required to have that there.

But even more of a waste of space was the back of this cereal box I saw one day while doing grocery shopping. This isn't a picture of part of the box. This was the entire back panel. It sure seems funny to me that someone even felt the need to tell people that a higher percentage means more... Especially since, in addition to the percentages, they also list the quantity as well. I'd hate to meet the person who honestly can't figure out that something containing 10g of fibre has more fibre than another food that has 5g.

No comments: