Random tagline

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Stir Fry

I'm not that big a cooking fan, but every so often I like to experiment. Usually, that takes the form of a big slow cooker full of chili. I have never used a recipe to make chili, and it has never been the same twice. And then there's pizza. I always have fun making pizza. Tonight, however, I thought I'd try my hand at making some sort of stir fry.

In my skillet I cooked up some zucchini, red and green peppers, and some tofu that was leftover from when I made my last batch of miso soup, and I needed to use it up soon. Then I added a sauce I threw together using plum sauce and the last of my miso paste. Finally, I thought I'd add a packet of Chinese noodles. You know the kind—the ones that come in the little packages that only cost 25¢. And when it was done (or I thought it was done—I'm not even sure if the way I cooked it actually counted as a stir fry), it looked great. But did it taste great? No.

Well, it wasn't exactly that the taste was bad, but it just felt weird once it started gathering in my stomach. I'm not sure what the problem was. Separately, before cooking, all the ingredients tasted good. Well, except for the tofu, which has no taste at all. But together, it really didn't work well at all. I'm thinking it might have been my sauce. Perhaps I should have just left it out and let all the natural vegetable flavours stand alone. Or used straight plum sauce, without the miso paste. I've tried something else before where I mixed miso paste and sweet & sour sauce and that worked great, so maybe there's something in the plum sauce that caused a weird reaction with the miso paste. It couldn't have been that it was undercooked, since all of the ingredients can be eaten raw with no adverse effect.

But in any case, maybe stir fries just aren't really my thing. I do have childhood memories of being disappointed whenever my mom made a stir fry for dinner, so I'm not sure why I even attempted it. Or perhaps next time I should, you know, actually follow a recipe. There's enough left for two more meals, but I think I'm just going to toss the rest. I don't like wasting food, but at least all the ingredients only cost me $3 tops, so I don't feel too bad about doing so. And to make up for tonight's dinner I'll definitely have to cook a pizza tomorrow.

No comments: